PDA

View Full Version : Track DE events?

7racer
09-13-2013, 09:02 PM
ugh...I might have to pull out of getting a Mono.

I found out that most of the driving schools here classify the Mono as "open wheel" and won't run it in there DE's.

Even if I become a member at the local track, I can only run with the open wheel guys which sometimes there is just one guy on the track.

Anyone else facing this issue?

Pete Hitesman
09-14-2013, 04:09 AM
ugh...I might have to pull out of getting a Mono.

I found out that most of the driving schools here classify the Mono as "open wheel" and won't run it in there DE's.

Even if I become a member at the local track, I can only run with the open wheel guys which sometimes there is just one guy on the track.

Anyone else facing this issue?

It'll vary by event host. If you've not already done so, be sure the host is fully aware of the Mono size and lighting and street-legal status in Europe (and potentially here in US).

My understanding of the reason behind some hosts not wanting to mix cars is safety: (lack of) visibility of the small open-wheelers to the enclosed car drivers. With that said Mono is not a small car and can be driven with headlights on (as opposed to a Formula Mazda/Radical/Stohr for example - small and no lights) to help you be seen. I've already had this discussion with the largest host in my area and there is no problem to run in the "D"/Expert group (I have 125 track days experience in GT3's) as they mix everything and drivers are experienced. There is no doubt I'll be quite vocal in my run-group drivers's meeting for other drivers to keep an eye out for me :-) Also, my local SCCA runs open and closed cockpit cars together in PDX and Time Trials. No problems there.

If you do not have a lot of track days under your belt, and need to run in a beginner or intermediate run group to earn experience, you need to consider if you should be out there with a bunch of folks who may not have developed some situational awareness.

Once BAC gets production geared up, and more cars come into owners hands, you will have other Monos to play with on track. Someone has to be the early adopter and blaze the path for others to follow! :-)

For some reason I'm thinking you are in Texas? My dream would be to run COTA in the Mono, same course the F1 guys run. Wow! Once cars are delivered we need to arrange a Mono owners track weekend event there.

7racer
09-14-2013, 07:28 PM
good points! I am trying but it might be an uphill battle for a bit.

Yes in Texas. Ran COTA twice already in the GT-R! It's an amazing amazing track!

David
10-13-2013, 09:31 PM
I ran COTA this past Feb. If I get my mono before the mvp event in 2014 (also beginning feb) then I plan to bring the mono!

Wouldn't it be awesome if there are 3 mono's there?!?!? :)

Pete Hitesman
10-14-2013, 05:24 PM
That would be very cool! Don't think I'll have mine in time though, I'm thinking March, but who knows, let's see.

7racer
10-14-2013, 05:34 PM
I haven't put my order in...still debating.

David, what did Sector 111 say about your delivery time?

David
10-14-2013, 06:30 PM
^ Pete - I'm behind you... so If I have one then you must have one :)

7racer - they're not clear about delivery time yet - supplier issues still :(
But hopefully beginning next year.

7racer
10-15-2013, 09:53 PM
thanks David, for the reply.

I hope more people post on the feedback of this car! If I can drive it for all DE's I might still keep the GT-R and the Mono....

David
10-17-2013, 08:39 PM
7racer - are you also in the tesla forums?