PDA

View Full Version : UK Trip to tour BAC

Pete Hitesman
10-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Spent an incredible 3 days with the BAC folks in the UK. Shinoo Mapleton, owner of Sector111 organized the trip for five owners/deposit holders/prospects. Monday was a tour of the BAC facilities and some introductory words from everyone, followed by fitting of custom bead seats by Alex Powell of ProSeat (http://sector111.blogspot.com/2014/07/bac-mono-made-to-measure-seat-steering.html) to several owners. He also did the custom wheel option fitting for one lucky fellow.

Tuesday was a cold windy rainy track day at Oulton Park with Oli Webb riding herd and pacing us in a lead Mono to help avoid troubles. I was fully expecting to be wet and miserable but surprisingly my first drive, in the rain, was just fine. I stayed perfectly dry (shock) other than the water streaming off my helmet visor. The Mono was surprisingly grippy and with short-shifting hands and smooth foot action, there was zero drama. Ditto for my second drive, thankfully after the rain stopped.

Wednesday was a trip to visit the Cosworth facilities, where the Mono engine is born. We were treated to a full tour and spent almost 4 hours with the fine folks there and were able to see the room where our engines are built, the dyno cells where they are hot tested and run-in and speak to the builders and an engineer over the 2.3 engine development.

Every evening we had a tasty dinner with BAC folks joining us and personally I was able to get about a thousand questions off my shoulders. I'm sure the patient and always accommodating BAC people were glad for the opportunity to share and respond. Truly memories that will last a lifetime for car crazy guys! And all of us there were car crazy. Seems the Mono draws in the hard core car nuts as opposed to poseurs :-)

Enjoy some photos courtesy of Shinoo and Jack: